In this guide, created by and for freelancers, you will find tips, expert databases, and practical tools for journalists covering gender issues and journalists reporting on other topics interested in improving gender balance in their stories.
💡 Download your guide and learn how to:
- Look for gender balance and representation in your sources to tackle the marginalisation of women and LGBTQ+ people voices.
- Choose your words and images carefully to avoid perpetuating stereotypes.
- Address implicit biases - including your own.
- Avoid being reductive and understand that men, women, transgender people and other identities are not homogenous groups.
- Explore gender and identity angles in your stories
- Report on sexual and gender-based violence
- Report on transgender persons.
For freelance journalists, reporting on migration and refugees is a chance to tell deeply human stories and encourage a greater understanding of different peoples, places and cultures.
Freelancers who report on solutions to social challenges may find new angles to stories that can separate them from the crowd, find new commissions or establish them as experts in their field through rigorous reporting.